Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Trio of Hudson River Visions by Gretchen Kelly

I was looking at some old school Hudson River paintings from back in the day.
I felt inspired by them to paint with watercolor and with my own vision.
You could say these are copies with a twist.
They look similar to the originals but they are different.
I was steered by the old master's colors, composition and subject and then
I naturally painted with my own hand. It was a great exercise and I will do
more of these. I think the outcome is pleasing. There is a lot to learn from
copying, although my copies are quite whimsical, rather than exact.
I think that is where artistic license comes in.
Hudson River Vision #1
5"x7" watercolor
Hudson River Vision #2
5"x7" watercolor
Hudson River Vision #3
5"x7" watercolor
These are available to purchase at an online auction site - click the title under each to place a starting bid of $50.

2 comments:

catharus said...

Again, just lovely! Really nice! 'Love the colors and mood.

Gretchen Kelly said...

Thanks much for following my work.